Categories

Photography (255) Music (208) Portraiture (147) Italian Vogue (35) Poetry (22) BBC (20) Thoughts (16) Art (3) www.elafraczkowska.com (3) Facebook (2)

Just me.

Just me.

Friday 27 June 2014

Three

"Perhaps the easiest way of making the town’s acquaintance is to ascertain how the people in it work, how they love, and how they die. In our little town (is this, one wonders, an effect of the climate?) all three are done on much the same lines, with the same feverish yet casual air. The truth is that everyone is bored, and devotes himself to cultivating habits."

This is the quote from the novel I read as a 16-year-old girl and it made such a powerful impression on me that I started analysing people, including myself, through this 'tricoloured lens'. It's never stopped. Different 'colours' were important at different stages of my life, but the one I've been focused on for the last few years is the first one. 

It might be that the quotation resonates with the values instilled in me by my family, but I find those who persistently try their best most interesting. They are the ones who won't suck up to anyone in authority to gain anyone's favour because they simply don't need it. They are focused and consistent. They know their value (without the need to be flashy) and realise that someone's inability to see it doesn't reduce it. 

I feel so privileged to be able to watch them. And, in this context, it's so wonderful to remember that people don't change; we just get more set in our ways as we age. 



I've been listening to this lately, just in case you were curious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment